Dr. Joti Samra, R.Psych. & Associates offer a range of clinical and counselling services for individuals, couples and families at a number of offices located throughout downtown Vancouver. We also offer services via telehealth – using secure, encrypted videoconferencing platforms.
Life is not always easy, and we believe that all of us – if we live long enough and go through enough life experiences – will struggle with psychological health difficulties at some point in our lives.
At Dr. Joti Samra, R.Psych. & Associates, our team places strong value on client-centered approaches that are collaborative, solution-focused, and grounded in evidence-based science. We take a strong values-based approach in our work with clients, taking the time to learn about you and what’s most important to you. We pay attention to all important areas of your life – not just the symptoms – and work with you to enhance your quality of life both personally and professionally. We believe that all of us are experts in our own lives – as such, our clients guide the focus of treatment, and we work to ensure we have a strong understanding of your goals, hopes and dreams so that we can most effectively support you in achieving the outcomes you are wanting for your life.
In addition to working with you to enhance your psychological health and wellness, we pay attention to your physical health (exercise, sleep, diet), your relationships (family, friends, intimate relationships) and work-related goals and pursuits (including workplace challenges and stressors).
We offer assessment and treatment services to individuals, couples and families for a range of life difficulties, including but not limited to:
- General life stress
- Workplace stress and conflict
- Relationship enhancement (building closer connections, enhancing intimacy, pre-marital counselling)
- Relationship difficulties (conflict, separation, divorce, co-parenting)
- Mood disorders (depression, dysthymia, bipolar disorder)
- Anxiety and related disorders (generalized or social anxiety disorder, panic, post-traumatic stress disorder, obsessive compulsive disorder, phobias, hoarding)
- Eating disorders (anorexia nervosa, bulimia nervosa, binge-eating disorder)
- Borderline personality disorder, non-suicidal self-injury, & chronic suicidality
- Substance use, misuse & abuse
- Chronic physical issues (pain, injury, disability)
Treatment Approaches & Modalities
Our team uses the following evidence-based approaches:
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT)
- Dialectical Behaviour Therapy (DBT)
- Acceptance & Commitment Therapy (ACT)
- Mindfulness-Based Cognitive Therapy (MBCT)/Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (MBSR)
- Interpersonal Therapy (IPT)
- Dr. John Gottman’s model for Relationship Therapy
Virtual (Online) Counselling
We offer online, video-based counselling to help:
- Clients with busy schedules (work, families, etc.) as virtual counselling takes away travel time, cost, and stress.
- Clients who live anywhere in BC who may not have many options for therapists or psychologists in their community.
- Online (virtual) counselling reduces barriers to access (inability to take time off of work, living remotely, mobility issues).
- Existing clients who may want to supplement their in-office treatment with additional virtual sessions.
Dr. Joti Samra, R.Psych. & Associates prioritize the privacy of clients and the security and safety of personal information. As such, we utilize secure platforms for the transfer and storage of identifiable client information and work to stay up to date on technological advances that might affect client privacy.