Dr. Joti Samra, R.Psych. & Associates have specialized expertise in issues relating to workplace mental health and psychological health and safety (PH&S) in the workplace. We provide a broad range of corporate consulting services including:
- Leadership development & executive coaching
- Management & team training
- Assessments of workplace psychological health & safety
- Workplace intervention & mediation
Our team is well-versed in the National Standard of Canada for Psychological Health and Safety, and we offer a range of services that can help your organization adhere to the tenets of the Standard (CAN/CSA-Z1003-13/BNQ9700-803/2013: Psychological health and safety in the workplace – Prevention, promotion, and guidance to staged implementation).
Learn about the innovative National Project Initiatives that Dr. Samra has led pertaining to Psychological Health and Safety (PH&S), Emotional Intelligence (EI), and Psychologically Safe Leadership (PSL).
Psychological health and safety (PH&S) issues in the workplace are pervasive, and have a number of negative impacts on organizations when left unaddressed. The Mental Health Commission of Canada (MHCC) conservatively estimates that – in any given year – one in five people in Canada will experience a mental health problem or illness, with a cost to the economy that exceeds $50 billion per annum.
Courses in PH&S assist modern workplace leaders in addressing potential negative psychosocial factors in the workplace; better equipping their leaders and managers to manage psychological issues in the workplace; and, aiding employees who are experiencing mental health issues or disorders.
Dr. Samra is the Program Lead for the online Centre for Psychological Health Sciences at the University of Fredericton. In collaboration with UFred, she has developed a number of courses and certificates for workplace leaders, managers and employees. The training is offered online, and is self-paced. The courses are designed for organizations who are interested in developing workplace strategies, policies and processes that are consistent with the National Standard of Canada for Psychological Health & Safety in the Workplace. reat-West Life Centre for Mental Health in the Workplace
UFred offers four online certificate streams in the area of PH&S in the workplace, developed by Dr. Samra and supported by the Canadian Centre for Occupational Health and Safety, the Great-West Life Centre for Mental Health in the Workplace, and the Mental Health Commission of Canada.
Basic Certificate: Psychological Health & Safety in the Workplace
Suitable for all levels
Our Basic Level consists of an introductory course titled An Introduction to Psychological Health & Safety in the Workplace. The course is designed to help organizations bring their employees up-to-speed on their roles in maintaining a psychologically healthy and safe work environment, providing a stronger understanding of PH&S concepts. As such, this course is applicable to learners and employees of all levels and abilities.
Advanced Certificate: Psychological Health & Safety in the Workplace
Suitable for those implementing organizational mental health strategies
This level of the Certificate is designed for organizational leaders implementing workplace health and safety management systems for all employees. Those working in supervisory positions within Occupational Health and Safety units, Human Resources departments, or any other department that may be responsible for implementing an overarching organizational health strategy, including mental health, for a body of employees will find this Certificate to be beneficial.
Manager Certificate: Managing Mental Health Issues at Work
Suitable for those in management roles supporting the individual employee
The courses provide in-depth learning on key principles and considerations for managers in supporting employees with psychological health issues, as well as enhancing managers’ emotional intelligence skills in managing emotionally distressed employees. This Certificate is suitable for those in management roles supporting the individual employee experiencing emotional distress or mental health issues or disorders.
Enhancing Workplace Resiliency
From front-line worker, all the way to CEOs, everyone can benefit from strategies and skills to be more resilient at work
With a range of common stressors vying for employees’ attention at any given time, it is important that employees understand how to manage and cope with these stressors in ways that are healthy and productive. In the Enhancing Workplace Resiliency course, learners will obtain the knowledge needed to positively cope with stress through six engaging modules. The modules address various topics, including stress and the mental health continuum, realistic thinking, behavioural activation, the significance of sleep, diet, and exercise, relaxation and stress management, and thriving in times of stress. Dr. Samra co-developed this course with Dr. Rakesh Jetly, the chief psychiatrist for the Canadian Armed Forces, and NATO’s first research chair in military mental health.
Dr. Samra, R.Psych. & Associates have provided keynote talks, presentations, workshops, and consultation services to a range of small, mid-sized, and large employers, in both the public and private sections. Some of our Corporate Clients are listed here:
- Alberta Health Services
- Alberta Mental Health Board
- BC Environmental & Occupational Health Research Network
- BC Government Employees’ Union
- BC Human Resources Management Association
- BC Hydro
- BC Ministry of Health
- BC Nurses’ Union
- BC Public Service Agency
- BC Teachers’ Federation
- Canadian Federation of Nurses Unions
- Canadian Mental Health Association
- Canadian Network for Mood & Anxiety Treatments
- Canadian Psychiatric Association
- Catholic Children’s Aid Society
- Chartered Professionals in Human Resources
- City of Calgary
- Coast Capital Savings Credit Union
- Ernst & Young
- GoodLife Fitness
- Great-West Life Centre for Mental Health in the Workplace
- Health Canada
- Healthcare Benefit Trust
- Health Employers Association of BC
- HealthQuest Occupational Health
- Interlock Employee & Family Assistance Program
- International Foundation of Employee Benefit Plans
- Justice Institute of BC
- KFL&A Public Health
- Kwantlen Polytechnic University
- London Drugs
- Miller Thomson Lawyers
- Mindful Employer Canada
- Mood Disorders’ Association of BC
- Nova Scotia Hearing Speech Centres
- Occupational Rehab Group of Canada
- Ontario Association for Career Management
- Pacific Blue Cross | BC Life
- Public Health Agency of Canada
- Provincial Health Services Authority
- Rogers Insurance
- Royal Bank of Canada
- Royal Canadian Mounted Police
- SAFE Work Manitoba
- School Boards’ Cooperative Inc.
- School of Environmental Health, UBC
- Simon Fraser University Administrative & Professional Staff Association
- Simon Fraser University Human Resources
- Telecommunications Workers’ Union
- University Community of Practice
- University of the Fraser Valley
- UBC Continuing Studies
- Vancouver Airport Authority (YVR)
- Vancouver Coastal Health Authority
- Vancouver Island Health Authority
- Westland Insurance
- Workplace Safety & Insurance Board – Ontario