skip to Main Content
Psychologist | Speaker | Media Expert | Workplace Consultant | Researcher

Unattended candle started fatal house fire

(by Amy Reid, Vancouver Sun)


The Surrey fire department has confirmed an unattended candle was the cause of a house fire that took the life of a Fraser Heights woman Sunday.


Firefighters rescued the 59-year-old woman, whose name has not been released, from a house in the 10500-block of Arbutus Wynd around 10 p.m., but she ran back into her burning home to try to save her three pet cats. She was taken to Royal Columbian Hospital in critical condition and later died. The woman’s 61-year-old husband suffered minor burns.


Dr. Joti Samra, a registered psychologist and Simon Fraser University professor who serves as an expert in an Animal Planet docu-reality series Confessions: Animal Hoarding and also appears on OWN’s Million Dollar Neighbour-hood, said research shows that individuals can develop very strong bonds with animals.


“Sometimes those bonds can be just as strong as they are with other humans,” Samra said.


Deputy Fire Chief Karen Fry said Wednesday the cause of the fire was an unattended candle.


“It’s very tragic,” Fry said. In the case of house fires – or any fire – Fry said, “It’s important that once you’re out, stay out.”


Surrey Now, with files from Tom Zytaruk and Vancouver Sun


© Copyright (c) The Vancouver Sun



Back To Top